7352-01. Capacity development ESIA/SEA South Sudan
South Sudan is a relatively young country and its ESIA system is not legally established yet. In February 2023, the NCEA and the South Sudan's Ministry of Forestry (MoEF) signed an MoU to further explore the needs and feasibility to develop a multi-annual programme for the introduction of ESIA.
One of the first activities under this MoU is a mapping exercise with the following objectives:
- Clarify how the ESIA system currently functions in South Sudan.
- Identify how an ESIA process / procedure may look like in near future in South Sudan.
- Determine priority interventions to start building and strengthening the ESIA system in South Sudan.
- 2-day validation and consultation workshop with key stakeholders.
- A report including:
- An overview of how the current ESIA system functions (strengths and gaps):
- Recommendations for an ESIA system suitable to the South Sudan context.
- Recommendations for prioritising capacity development activities and stakeholders to target.
The mapping of the ESIA system in South Sudan is currently carried out by a team consisting of one representative from the MoEF, one international expert, one local expert and two NCEA staff.
Members of the working group
|Thomas Bernward Fischer, PhD, Dipl-Geogr, FIEMA, FHEA,
|John Leju Celestino Ladu
Technical secretary: Leyla Özay, MSc
Country: South Sudan
Last modified: 31 Jul 2023