347-i. Memorandum: EIA documentation and tracking system - Botswana
The NCEA issued a memorandum to inform the Environmental Ministry in Botswana about options to set up an EIA documentation and tracking system. The memorandum also contains advice on the establishment of an independent EIA commission.
The Botswana Ministry of Environment, Wildlife and Tourism was looking into possibilities to set up an EIA Documentation and Tracking System. The UNDP-funded Environmental Support Programme requested the NCEA to support the Ministry in three ways:
- Providing information on experiences with similar systems in other countries;
- Commenting on the Terms of Reference that the Ministry prepared for the actual establishment of the system;
- Discussing, more generally, options on the establishment of an independent EIA Commission(er) in Botswana.
The NCEA issued a memorandum in which it fulfilled these three requests. Key issues include:
- The proposed tracking system is relatively advanced and few countries have similar systems; yet the NCEA was able to demonstrate some possibilities and refer to systems such as the one supported by IUCN in Central America;
- Depending on the use of the ToR, it may be required to pay more attention to context analysis and user requirements;
- An independent EIA commission can take different forms; these are discussed in some more detail.
Members of the working group
Technical secretary: Gwen van Boven
Last modified: 29 Mar 2019