028-i. Advice: use and harmonization of project appraisal instruments
The NCEA issued an advice in which it assesses 25 instruments that can be used by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for project preparation and appraisal. Based on this assessment, it recommends on application of and harmonization between these instruments.
Rapports consultatifs et autres documents
30 nov 1999: Other
The Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs aimed to increase harmonization between various instruments for environmental appraisal and other types of project preparation/appraisal. For that purpose, it asked the NCEA to analyse available instruments and to prepare an advice on harmonization.
In two advisory reports, the NCEA answered the following questions for 25 instruments:
- How, where and when are these instruments applied by the Embassies and the Ministry?
- In which phase of the activity cycle can these instruments be applied?
- How can tuning be achieved and is integration of these instruments possible?
The two advisory reports describe:
- Problem statement and objectives of the advice, the inventarisation and appraisal of instruments, and conclusions and recommendations (in Dutch);
- A description of each of the 25 instruments (in English), including:
- 5 non-thematic instruments (e.g. sector analysis, context analysis)
- 3 poverty instruments (e.g. poverty assessment)
- 4 social/gender instruments (e.g. social impact assessment, gender assessment study)
- 5 environmental instruments (e.g. strategic environmental assessment, health impact assessment)
- 3 economic instruments (e.g. cost-benefit analysis).
In its advice, te NCEA recommends a number of instruments for preparation and appraisal of policies, plans and programmes, from which in each case one instrument should be selected. For projects, it recommends to use the instrument that gives most information on the theme that is essential for sustainability and durability of the project. For integral appraisal of policies, plans and programmes it recommends to use 'integral impact assessment' or - if this is not possible - the more superficial 'environmental overview'.
Membres du groupe de travail
|mr S.W. Bie|
|ms R.H.M. Brouwers|
|mr W.T. de Groot|
|mr M.P. Keuken|
|mr J.D. Meindertsma|
|mr R. van de Sijp|
Le président du groupe de travail: mr D. de Zeeuw
Secrétaire technique: mr R.A.M. Post
|Autorité de composants|
|Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs|
|Commencé:||22 jul 1997|
|Terminé:||30 nov 1999|
Mise à jour: 10 jul 2018