023-i. Advice on ToR: EIA for tannery industry plan Korangi
The NCEA advised on Terms of Reference (ToR) for an EIA which should be undertaken for formulation of an Environmental Management Plan for tannery industries. This EMP should focus on minimizing environmental pollution and nuisance and should thereby improve the health status of residents and workers.
Rapports consultatifs et autres documents
21 mei 1996: Terms of reference
Urged by increasingly strict rules for emissions and pollution in productive industries, the Pakistan Tanners Association (PTA) initiated an Environmental Action Plan (EAP). This plan focused on the areas of the Korangi Industrial Estate which are almost exclusively used by tanneries. It aimed at reducing the amount of pollution caused by tanneries and thereby improving the health of residents and workers in the area.
One of the aspects of this EAP is the formulation of an Environmental Management Plan (EMP) for Korangi. The PTA started this formulation process in cooperation with the Dutch Ministry for Development Cooperation. The NCEA was asked to advise on Terms of Reference (ToR) for an EIA for this EMP. Some of the NCEA's main conclusions in its advice were:
- The EIA should be based on an analysis of the situation in the individual tannery and an assessment of project activities in these individual tanneries;
- Tannery in-house activities should be prioritized as they are the main source of pollution and nuisance;
- A limited number of alternatives must be assesed, based on logical combinations of alternatives for implementation of the various components of the EMP (a.o. in-house arrangements, effluent collection, treatment, and disposal);
- The EIA report should describe the relation between responsibilities of the PTA and those of government agencies for monitoring and pollution control;
- The EIA report should describe to which extent the tannery waste water will be diluted.
In addition, the advice distinguishes a number of main economic aspects which should be elaborated. Apart from these main issues, more specific conclusions and recommendations are provided.
Membres du groupe de travail
|mr R. Ooijen|
|mr I. Parvaiz Naim|
|mr I. van der Putte|
|mr M.A. Siebel|
Le président du groupe de travail: mr J.W. Kroon
Secrétaire technique: mr R.A.M. Post
|Pakistan Tanners Association (PTA)|
|Autorité de composants|
|Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs|
|Commencé:||16 jan 1996|
|Terminé:||21 mrt 1996|
Mise à jour: 10 jul 2018